The latest research into positive thinking, happiness, and success informs us that traditional thinking is not only muddled but completely backward. The idea that hard work leads to success is fine but, the idea that success leads to happiness runs counter to the way our brains work, which leads to increased stress. In other words, a positive mindset leads to happiness, which enables success; meaning health is a lifestyle choice – the choice to be happy first.
For the sake of argument (and just for a moment), let’s accept the idea success leads to happiness. So, you set a goal for success at something and work hard to reach it. You finally get there and… what happens when you reach your goal? Are you happy, or do you set a new goal for more success, and so on, and so on.
If you constantly set and reach new goals in order to be happy, happiness becomes unattainable. The truth is that, when you come from a mindset of happiness, goal setting and achievement become a natural, almost automatic, by-product.
Instead, if you can raise your level of positivity in the present, your brain will experience what’s called a “happiness advantage”, a place where your brain is working in a positive mode. Your brain at positive performs significantly better than at negative, neutral or stressed. Thus, your intelligence rises, your creativity rises, your energy levels rise, and your overall health improves.
This is powerful evidence that a positive mindset will lead to lower levels of stress, greater health, and increased success.
Flip Your Mindset to Positive
If it’s true that “Like attracts like”, and we obviously believe that it is, then your positive mindset will attract other positive people. The energy this creates will be impossible to resist, for you, them, and the world around you.
The results of these types of research are startling:
- Your brain in a positive mindset is 31% more productive than your brain at negative, neutral or stressed.
- Just 25% of job successes are predicted by IQ, while 75% of job successes are predicted by your optimism levels.
- Social connections are good for us, and loneliness kills.
- It’s the quality of your close relationships that matters; living amid good, warm relationships is protective.
- Good relationships don’t just protect our bodies, they protect our brains
- Your social support and your ability to see stress as a challenge instead of as a threat are fundamental to a healthy, successful life.
- For people who were in unhappy relationships, on the days when they reported more physical pain, it was magnified by more emotional pain.
Human beings have something that we might think of as a “psychological immune system.” A system of cognitive processes, largely non-conscious cognitive processes, that help them change their views of the world, so that they can feel better about the worlds in which they find themselves, allowing us to turn a negative into a positive (and vice versa, of course).
This means you DO have the power to flip your mindset to positive and make the positive lifestyle choice to be healthy, happy and successful.
A coach helps you see the things that need to be changed to develop a positive mindset, enabling you to more easily overcome them. If you’d like to know more about Wealth Attraction™ Coaching, Send me a note if you’re interested in exploring the opportunity.